Its summer! And it is that time of the year when the temperature hits hard and dehydration can occur. Although dehydration can happen at any time of the year and in any weather condition but Summer heat seems to bring on more
instances of dehydration as the temperature rises due to which the body losses large amount of fluid.
For hydration in the summer heat, the best option is “water”. Since the body losses great amount of fluid so it is very important to replenish it and hydrate it enough throughout the day to function properly.
There are different symptoms of dehydration such as
- Dry throat or sticky mouth.
Almost two thirds of our body weight is made up of water and it is not surprising that we need a good enough amount to replenish it.
Drinking water is very necessary for staying healthy and has many benefits.
We have 70 percent water in our body and in summer we need much more.
The Benefits of Drinking Water & Staying Hydrated
- Weight-Loss: Drinking more water results in weight-loss because it often replaces high calorie drinks like soft drinks, canned juices with a drink that has no fat, no calories, no sugar, and no carbs. So if you want to lose weight, increase the intake of water.
- Energy: Water is one of the best and easy source to get energized. Even the mild dehydration, as little as 1 or 2% of your body weight can reduce your energy and make you feel tired.
- Headache Cure: Often when we have headaches, it is simply a matter of not drinking enough water. Although, there are various causes of headache but dehydration is the common one.
- Healthy Skin: Drinking lots of water clears up the skin and makes it look fresh and glowing.
- Exercise: We all know that it is essential to drink water when exercising but many people do not know that being dehydrated can severely hamper the workout. It can slow you down and make your workouts harder. So drink water during exercise as well as before and after to promote proper hydration and in order to replace water loss through sweating at a similar rate to that at which it is lost.
Ways to Make a Habit of Drinking Water
People nowadays are living busy lives and with a busy schedule, it can be hard to remember something as simple as drinking water. Therefore here are some of the tips I thought to share with you guys through which you can make a habit drinking water:
- Drink a glass of water with each meal: Drink water whenever you are having your meal. Have a large sip before starting the meal, and in between the meal but avoid drinking the water directly after finishing the meal as it is not good for health.
- Have a Water Bottle with you throughout the Day: Oftentimes, people forget to drink water because they do not have a water bottle with them. Keep the bottle with you or at your work. Also, if you feel like you tend to avoid drinking water because it is warm then spend on a higher quality water bottle that will keep the water chilled for long time. Spending some extra money on this is worth!
- Thirsty?? Go for water: Instead of a coffee or soft drink, go for water. Drink water throughout the day even if you are not thirsty because it works like an energy drink when you are tired and helps you get energized.
- Flavor Your Water: Flavoring the water is another way to drink and enjoy water. You can make a detox water by simply adding the fruits and herbs you like such as lemon, lime, mint leaves, cucumber, strawberries, watermelon etc.
- Set a reminder: Forgetting to drink is usual. Therefore, set a reminder periodically in your phone or watch that reminds you to drink water.
- Track Your Water: Record the number of glasses you drink in a day. The health authorities commonly recommend eight 8-ounce glasses, which equals about 2 liters, or half a gallon.
Drink more water, stay healthy! Happy Drinking! 🙂