What is depression? Is it the feeling of sadness that endows in our head when we experience something that is supposed to make you happy? Is it the feeling of wanting to confine yourself in places where you are surrounded by the people who love you? Is it the feeling where you either want to bang the wall in aggression or to just lie down and cry till your eyes run out of water? Is it wanting to end your life the only solution to the problems you face?
Some of the questions people ask themselves as they go through things in life. The truth is that depression is all these things and in addition to this, it is also feeling blank when you are supposed to feel something. It is being emotionless at stuff which either tears a person up or makes him happy. It is the feeling of having zero trust on people when you have a person who is a hundred percent legit loyal to you.
It is not the fault of a depressed person to feel a certain way. No one is supposed to apologize to feel something in a certain way. It is as normal as it can be.
In a Desi society, (Emphasis on Desi) we fail to realize that mental illness is as important as physical illness. We fail to realize the importance of psychologists and psychiatrists in the public. We fail to understand the importance of these doctors as they fix the most important thing in this world. They fix the human mind which is devoid of feelings, emotions and what not. They secure the future of a mind which was bound to be crippled under the society.
So if you have someone close around you who is showing symptoms of depression, keep the following things in mind.
- Never let a depressed person feel like he is alone. Be with him even if he tries to push you away from his life.
- Never Let the person feel like he is inferior to you or any other person in any way
- Try to analyze the things that make him happy and make sure he does them
Try to TALK. Talking is key. Having to share feelings is something people usually try to avoid. Sense of being judged by the listener is a HUGE factor. Try to diminish this sense.
- Analyze people around the person. If someone is lethal to him in any way immediately use every means to cut him out of the person’s life. ASAP.
- Take the sad person to the doctor if he feels hesitant to talk to you about stuff. Therapy is the best solution.
- Give him space to let him discover his own self. If sometimes he desperately wants to be alone. Let him
- Answer his rational Questions. YES. Trust me on this. These questions come from a corner of his mind no one can ever get to. Answer them in the best possible manner.
- Give his medications on time. Nothing he does is weird. No way he behaves is wrong. Sometimes a person who is depressed also has anxiety. Keep in mind he is as normal as you.
- Have complete and utter trust in him. Trust can help him in ways no kind of medication can.
Support others. For everyone around you is fighting a battle you know nothing about.